Our world seems to revel in chaos and destruction; our culture is laden with desire for money, power, and clout. It can be easy to lose sight of what is important when we are living in the eye of a cultural storm. But Saint Benedict, his life and The Rule can serve as a compass to point us in the right direction.
More than 1500 years ago, just after the fall of Rome, in a time of pure chaos, Saint Benedict was determined to live and show others how to live a life that pointed back to the truest way of life. His life, his Rule, and impact are still felt and needed today and are teaching me a new way:
– How, through Lectio Divina, I can discover what God’s passages in the Bible mean for me personally
– How to avoid being controlled by what I own
– That there’s a purpose and meaning to my life which extends beyond the boundaries of this world
– The difference between an education for a career and an education for life
– How to use The Benedictine Hallmarks to discover my personal mission but my core values.
These are the healthy habits on which I want to build my life. How about you?
Thank you, Lord, for giving us wonderful guides and spiritual companions to help me on my journey.