The Light of Faith
On the second Sunday of Advent that we celebrated yesterday, we lit the purple Bethlehem Candle, the Candle of Love. This candle reminds us of Mary and Joseph’s journey to Bethlehem. Like the Shepherds, we see that God gave us the greatest love in the little town of Bethlehem in a humble manger. Reflecting on the scene in Bethlehem, I am reminded that God’s love often comes to us through humble encounters.
We experience God’s love through:
- the stranger on the street who says good morning,
- the chatty neighbor who is always willing to help you out,
- a friend who gives you a hug,
- a family member who listens and comforts,
- a child holding your hand,
- a colleague who really wants to know how you are doing,
- a relationship with someone unexpected.
How do you feel God’s love and feel your faith restored? During this season of Advent, let us pray that we can recognize, receive, and respond to God’s love.