What does God say about gluttony?
- Deuteronomy 21:20 – “And they shall say unto the elders of his city, this our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
- Proverbs 23:20-21 – “Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.”
- Proverbs 23:2 – “When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what is before thee. And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite.”
- Proverbs 25:16 – “Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it.”
- Luke 7:33-35 (and parallel account in Matthew 11:18-19) – “For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil. The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners! But wisdom is justified of all her children.”
Today I will be on guard against greed knowing that life does not consist in an abundance of possessions. Luke 12:15